Made for my sister’s baby son, this is my fifth quilt, my first go at sashing and making my own bias binding. I’m tickled pink at how well it’s come out.
I used this tutorial to make a pez qullt. http://www.meamomblog.com/2011/06/mini-tutorial.html.
I’m really happy with the way the fabrics and design have come together. I used my kona colour card for the first time to help me chose which white solid to use (Snow), and It’s my first completed quilt with aurifil thread, which was a dream to sew with. I’ve also used the select weight batting from warm and natural and I absolutely love the way it drapes.
Mathew’s Quilt, details. 20.03.2013
If I was to do it over I’d change the quilting, stitching in the ditch around each individual pez, and echo quilting a half inch out from each long pezzy block. It would really emphasis the colour block, which is what I really wanted to do. The straight lines I used to try and speed things up so it was finished before Mathew arrive, also show up the fact that my block’s don’t line up to well on the vertical.
I do love it though 😀
Mathew Quilt, backing 20.03.13
I just loved these little traveling crayon cases when I saw this tutorial. http://www.thesemomentsofmine.com/2011/06/25/travelin-crayon-case-tutorial/
After a bit of umming and ahhing I chose a couple of Robert Kaufman and Micheal Miller cottons to make two. A short amount of sewing later, this was the result.
There’s space for 8 crayons or pens, and a drawing pad or colouring book in the middle. Great for slipping in your bag and bringing out when the kids need to sit quietly for 5 mins. Not something that comes naturally for my two.
It was a birthday hit and has been very handy over the last month or two.
A talented cushion maker on facebook, at Ruth’s Emporium, made a nice little tutorial on making crowns, so I thought I’d have a go. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.398587596867171.90157.264655396927059&type=3.
As easy as pie. My little ‘un helped chose the fabrics and loved the result. Sadly he wasn’t keen on the idea of lots of buttons for jewels! We’ve had hours or play already though.
Inspired by a tutorial at http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/09/guest-29-jeni-with-quilted-log-cabin.html.
This is attempt number 2 at making these drinks mats, and they’re actually good enough for gifting. Result. A few months between try one and try two seem to have made all the difference. I may be making a few more of these – perhaps half an inch larger though, the mugs in our house only just fit on these.
The fabric was a blue scrap bag from http://fabricrehab.co.uk. I chose my 2 faves for the focal print and backing – I just love them, but no idea who the designer is though
Quilt number two, in yellow.
I followed a tutorial found at http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/blog/2012/06/20/project-design-team-wednesdayraggedy-scallop-baby-/, by Becky from Uncreate.
I totally underestimated how difficult it would be to quilt the scallops. My major error though was to choose polycotton materials I didn’t love. I won’t be doing that again – they just don’t feel as nice as they ought. Still, I’ve massively improved my basic skills and I’m pretty pleased with the end result.
Now I just need my cousins baby girl to arrive!
I love this!
I was inspired by a ‘easy’ quilt tutorial by Katie Did katiedid.squarespace.com, but found the quilting a bit challenging, so switched to straight lines. Well charmingly wobbling straight lines. I really like the way the three prints have come together.
The batting I use was too think, so really it’s more of a playmat than anything else, but it holds together and makes me smile every time I see it. Not bad for my first ever attempt.
Fabric Door Stop
First machine sewing attempt – a tutorial from Wolf Willow.
Such a shame that I understuffed it. It still makes a handy addition to the hallway though.